Wed | Dec 7, 2016

Kamoza Clarke murder case gets 2015 date

Published:Friday | November 28, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Christopher Thomas, Gleaner Writer

WESTERN BUREAU:

The five policemen who are charged in connection with the death of Kamoza Clarke, the mentally challenged man who was beaten into a vegetative state at the Falmouth Police Station last year October and subsequently died in hospital, had their cases deferred until next year when they appeared in the Clark's Town Resident Magistrate's Court on Wednesday.

The five - District Constables Alwayne Eccleston and Onecko Brown, Sergeant Derrick Henry and District Constables Desmond Lawrence and Tristan Turner - had their preliminary examination date set for March 25, 2015.

Brown, Eccleston and Henry are charged with murder, while Turner and Lawrence are charged with neglect of duty, all arising from the allegations that they were involved in the attack on Clarke while he was in custody at the Falmouth Police Station on October 20, 2013.

In the case against Brown, Eccleston and Henry, clerk of the court Stephanie Edwards told presiding magistrate Ruth Lawrence that one statement is still outstanding from the prosecution's case file.

"There were statements that were outstanding and we now have those statements. The investigating officer is to write a further statement," said Edwards.

"We are proposing to have a case-management conference, which is for viewing of the exhibits (prior to the preliminary examination date)," Edwards added.

Absent Attorneys

The court was also told that several of the attorneys representing the five policemen would be absent because of attendance at court in other jurisdictions, and in one case because of illness.

"Mr Ronald Parris (who is representing Eccleston) indicated that he has a matter at the Court of Appeal, and Mr Oswald Senior-Smith (who is representing Henry) is in the Port Maria Circuit Court. Mr Winston Douglas (who is representing Lawrence) is not well and will not be answering today," said Edwards.

Resident Magistrate Lawrence subsequently set the matter to be heard on March 25, while extending the bail of the accused men.

christopher.thomas@gleanerjm.com