Sun | Oct 21, 2018

My son plans to start a revolution

Published:Tuesday | December 2, 2014 | 12:00 AM

Ask the doc - Orlean Brown-Earle

Q: My 17-year-old son is adamant that college is old fashioned and plans to start a revolution at the institution. How can I stop him?

A: Share with your son that he should use the due process approach. First, conduct a survey among students to see if they have the same concerns. Then, he should present this to the student council and the college administrative executive. Pray for him, but do not stop his passion.

Q: How do I convince my children that life is now different because daddy has moved on to another marriage? They are not prepared for the poverty that we will now experience. They are 14 and 17 years of age.

A: Sit with your children and give them a basic idea of what you earn and what is contributed from their father. Let them know what the basic living costs are. Sit and write a budget with them. Remember, they are old enough to understand.

Q: I am astonished at how my colleagues allow their children to dress wildly and go to all sorts of parties! Am I a prude to limit my children?

A: You are being a proper parent when you manage your household. Continue being a smart parent.

Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general, as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply. Pray always!