Tivoli Enquiry to consider whether to re-admit disruptive D'Aguilar
The Tivoli Enquiry enters its second week today, and one of its first tasks this morning is to rule on whether to re-admit Tivoli Committee head, Lloyd D’Aguilar, to the proceedings.
D’Aguilar was kicked out last week Tuesday after a second straight day of disrupting the hearings and alleging that the enquiry’s chairman Sir David Simmons was biased.
That was the dramatic moment last week Tuesday that ended with Sir David ordering the eviction of D’Aguilar.
This morning, the three-member commission will be asked to re-admit the man who heads an organisation which says it represents the interest of Tivoli residents who suffered during the 2010 police/military operation in West Kingston.
D’Aguilar told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre last night that the new attorney for the Tivoli Committee, Carol DaCosta will be making the application.
D’Aguilar refused to say whether he will apologise for his actions and the allegations levelled at the chairman but suggested he could be less disruptive.
Meanwhile, the enquiry will resume at the Jamaica Conference Centre after Friday’s hearings in the absence of the public and media at the request of witnesses.
It is understood that two witnesses gave testimonies at the in camera hearing.
The eight other West Kingston residents who have so far appeared before the commission have described being brutalised at the hands of members of the security forces and losing valuable property during the operation to arrest convicted gangster Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.
Meanwhile, attorney for the Jamaica Constabulary Force Debra Martin, has revealed plans to, this week, present evidence showing the firepower that was being assembled inside Tivoli Gardens to prevent the arrest of its strongman, Christopher ‘Dudus’ Coke.
Martin says the evidence will include video footage and pictures taken inside Tivoli Gardens in the days leading up to the May 2010 operations.
She says witnesses will also be called to testify about the images.