Wed | Jan 23, 2019

Holding two different types of visas

Published:Tuesday | December 9, 2014 | 12:00 AM
John Bassie United Kingdom

Dear Mr Bassie,

Is it possible to hold two different types of visas issued by the United Kingdom authorities? I am curious how that may work.


Dear C.U.,

A person may submit an application for further entry clearance while he or she already holds one form of entry clearance. However, it should be noted that applicants are only allowed to have two forms of leave at the same time in particular circumstances.

If the application is successful, then he or she should expect that his or her extant leave (that is previously existing approval) will be cancelled. At this point, the new entry clearance can be put in the same passport as the previous leave. If the applicant does not wish to have his or her previous entry clearance cancelled, then as long as the new visa is for a short time, i.e. six months or less, then the entry clearance officer may issue both forms of leave.

If the application is granted, then the extant leave will be struck out by the authorities by writing 'Recommend cancel without prejudice' diagonally across the redundant visa (in red ink), a note will be made in the records, and then he or she will be granted fresh leave. If the application fails for refusal, the refusal notice will be processed as usual and the applicant will be advised not to travel without new leave, that is unless he or she can show to the immigration officer that his or her circumstances have not changed.

Please be aware that in certain circumstances, for example, if the second application for entry clearance is refused under general grounds, then the extant leave would be revoked.

All the best. I hope this helps.

John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator, and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK).