Commish orders more cops on the streets, temporary closure of admin offices
Police Commissioner, Dr Carl Williams, has ordered the closure of all administrative offices, so that more cops may be deployed on the streets as part of a strategy to keep the murder rate below 1,000 this year.
Williams says the deployment will run until December 31.
Up to the end of November, there were 926 murders.
If Jamaica records fewer than 1,000 murders for 2014, it would be the first in 11 years.
Last year, some 1,200 people were murdered.
That is why, in last weekend's Force Orders, the Police Commissioner outlined the structure of what he called the 80/20 strategy.
Under that strategy, 80 per cent of the members of the Jamaica Constabulary Force will be engaged in road activities while the remaining 20 per cent will stick to administrative and investigative duties.
The reduction in police administrative work coincides with the usual increase in road operations by the police during the Christmas holiday period.
The Commissioner says the temporary closure of the administrative offices will free up cops and allow for their re-deployment on the roads and other public spaces to deter criminals from committing crimes.
He says this type of deployment will also create a reassuring presence for citizens who will be going about their lawful businesses.
According to Williams, while road activities will be taking place, the management of crime hot spots will continue and where necessary, higher level operations such as cordons and searches will be implemented.
The Jamaica Defence Force is expected to support the work of the police.
The Police Commissioner says all police divisions will be required to submit their operational plans, outlining how the additional personnel will be deployed and held accountable.
At the same time, the police are on a drive to arrest wanted men who have eluded them over the year.
In the largest clampdown so far, police and soldiers swooped down on the town of Mandeville last week arresting 28 people, just days after the capture of the parish's most wanted man.
WATCH: Jamaica Now