Fri | Dec 2, 2016

VIDEO: Parliament building evacuated after smoke detected inside

Published:Thursday | December 18, 2014 | 4:46 PM
Gordon House employees wait outside the Parliament building while fire officials carryout their checks inside - Jermaine Barnaby/Staff Photographer
Fire officials outside the Parliament building after carrying out their checks inside - Jermaine Barnaby/Staff Photographer
Fire officials outside the Parliament building after carrying out their checks inside - Jermaine Barnaby/Staff Photographer
1
2
3

Chad Bryan, Staff Reporter



KINGSTON, Jamaica:

The Parliament building on Duke Street in Kingston was evacuated this afternoon after employees detected smoke inside.




Fire-fighters from the York Park Fire Station, who were quick on the scene, later gave the all-clear for the employees to return after it was discovered that the smoke was coming from an overheated air-conditioning unit.



Assistant Fire Superintendent Dennis Lyon said the smoke originated in the northern section of Gordon House.






He said the air-conditioning unit overheated after a power cut.



According to emmployees, they detected smoke and later heard shouts to vacate the building.



This is the second incident at Parliament today.



Earlier, thieves broke into the building and stole computers and a flat screen TV.



WATCH: THE GLEANER MINUTE




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com