Tue | Sep 25, 2018

Gov't urges safety of Jamaican woman allegedly raped in The Bahamas

Published:Wednesday | December 24, 2014 | 2:37 PM
Foreign Affairs Minister AJ Nicholson

The Jamaica government has written to its Bahamian counterpart urging that the authorities take all necessary measures to ensure the safety of a Jamaican woman who has alleged being raped by an immigration officer in Nassau.

Yesterday, The Gleaner reported that the Jamaican woman said she has had to be in hiding as her plea to Bahamian authorities for safe housing while the investigation is underway is not being treated with urgency.

The woman who is from Ocho Rios in St Ann said she would not return to her Bahamian home because of fears for her safety and so she sought assistance from the Royal Bahamas Police Force.

In a statement today, Jamaica’s Foreign Affairs and Foreign Trade Ministry said it has now received a formal notification from The Bahamas, advising of the rape investigation.

The Bahamian authorities reportedly affirmed that they will not tolerate actions of the kind alleged.

The Immigration Officer has been on administrative leave pending the outcome of the investigation.

The Jamaican ministry said it has told the Bahamian authorities that it expects the strongest possible measures to be taken to investigate the alleged violation.

In addition, the Ministry said in a telephone conversation between the foreign ministers of both countries, The Bahamas underlined the seriousness with which it is dealing with the issue.

In the meantime Jamaica’s consul in the Bahamas Patrick Hanlan says the Jamaican woman has now indicated that she is "reasonably comfortable at this time".

The Jamaican woman, alleged that on December 13, she was abducted and later raped by a senior immigration officer.

She said after the traumatic series of events, the officer "had the nerve" to supply his phone number, suggest they could go on a date, and ask for a kiss before leaving her.

The immigration officer has denied the rape saying he knows nothing about it.

"The law will take its course," he told The Gleaner.

The officer, who was detained last Wednesday, has since been released from police custody pending further investigation.

WATCH: The Gleaner Minute

Follow us on Twitter:


Follow us on Instagram:


Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner

Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com