Wed | Oct 18, 2017

Buju's attorneys head to US Full Court over appeal issue

Published:Friday | January 23, 2015 | 1:54 PM
Buju Banton - File

Attorneys representing convicted reggae artiste, Mark 'Buju Banton' Myrie, say they will press for the Full Court to rule whether the Appeals Court has jurisdiction to hear the entertainer's request for a new trial.



Banton is serving a 10-year sentence on drug and gun-related charges after he was arrested at his South Florida home in December 2009 and charged with conspiracy to distribute five or more kilogrammes of cocaine.



The entertainer filed an appeal, requesting new trials for two counts against him on the grounds of juror misconduct



However, earlier this week, a panel of three judges in the US Appeals Court dismissed the application, ruling that the court did not have jurisdiction to hear the case since the matter surrounding one count was not exhausted in the lower courts.



In a release this morning, Myrie’s attorneys, Max Stern and Charles Ogletree, said media reports indicating that Buju has lost his appeal were therefore incorrect.



The lawyers said they intend to request that the Full Court of 11 judges confirm the matter of jurisdiction.



The attorneys also said they are confident that, once this technicality is removed, "the miscarriage of justice that continues to deprive Buju Banton of his freedom will be rectified."



WATCH ... REBEL SALUTE 2015: Night One Highlights




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com