Wed | Dec 7, 2016

Nine police divisional commanders get promotion

Published:Sunday | February 1, 2015 | 6:41 PM

The commanding officers in nine police divisions across the country are to be promoted to Senior Superintendent of Police.



The announcement was made in the latest force orders issued on Thursday. The divisions being upgraded are:



- St James

- St Ann

- Clarendon

- St Andrew South

- Kingston Western

- Kingston Western

- St Andrew Central

- St Catherine North

- St Catherine South



The upgrade is part of the JCF's 80/20 strategy, which will see 80 per cent of resources invested in operational tactics and the remaining 20 per cent to administration, investigation and intelligence.



The aim is to suppress criminals' opportunities to commit murders.



The police say the strategy will help to bring down the number of murders. Also, the Police High Command says the structure of the typical police divisions are to be changed to accommodate the strategy, with the operations portfolio being upgraded and staffed according to the targeted ratio.



The new structure of all divisions will see additional management and supervisory resources being placed in operations.



In divisions being commanded by superintendents, a deputy superintendent in charge of operations with three deputy superintendents or assistant superintendents as shift commanders will be assigned.



For those divisions commanded by senior superintendents of police, the operations officer will be a superintendent of police and supported by three shift commanders at the rank of deputy or assistant superintendent of police.



The St James division will have a superintendent of police in charge of crime, supported by a deputy superintendent and a minimum of four detective inspectors who will operate as divisional detective inspectors and team leaders.



Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com