Thu | Oct 19, 2017

Two witness statements still outstanding for Tivoli commission

Published:Wednesday | February 4, 2015 | 10:03 AM

The secretariat of the West Kingston Commission of Enquiry says two witness statements are still outstanding with sittings of the commission set to resume on Monday.



Secretary to the commission, Maria Jones, told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre that all administrative matters have been settled for hearings to begin next week.



She says the schedule of witnesses who will appear has already been circulated to all of the lawyers who are involved in the enquiry.



However, Jones says two statements from witnesses have still not been submitted, although she would not say from whom.



Up to January 6, there had been no statements from former Prime Minister Bruce Golding; former national security minister Dwight Nelson; retired Police Commissioner Owen Ellington; and former Political Ombudsman Herro Blair.



However, Jones says Golding will be first in the witness chair when proceedings resume on Monday.



The commission of enquiry was established to probe the killing of more than 70 civilians in a police/military operation in Tivoli Gardens under the Bruce Golding administration.



It held its last sitting on December 12, before breaking for the Christmas holidays.



The commissioners have so far heard testimony from more than 20 witnesses, most of them residents of West Kingston at the time of the police-military operation.



Most have given detailed accounts of how their loved ones were allegedly killed by the security forces and how their properties were destroyed during the events of 2010.



WATCH: THE GLEANER MINUTE




Follow us on Twitter:

@JamaicaGleaner



Follow us on Instagram:

jamaicagleaner



Watch our videos on YouTube:

Jamaica Gleaner



Email us: onlinefeedback@gleanerjm.com