Riverton City Dump on fire
The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is urging members of the public to be careful in the vicinity of the Riverton City Dump which is now on fire.
ODPEM says windy conditions continue to pose a significant threat, delaying the process of bringing the fire under control. Some two acres of the dump are now on fire.
ODPEM says a tractor is in place, and the National Solid Waste Management Authority is deploying trucks to transport soil, for cover material.
People with respiratory conditions are being reminded to avoid smoke-filled areas.
Persons who generally use Spanish Town Road are being urged to avoid the area where possible, or to exercise extreme caution to mitigate against undue exposure. ODPEM says the national and parish response mechanisms remain on standby should the situation escalate.
Fire Safety Tips:
- Avoid smoking in public areas
- Keep matches and lighters up high, out of the reach of children.
- Replace cords that are cracked, damaged, have broken plugs, or have loose connections.
- Keep candles at least one foot from anything that can burn.
- Blow out candles when you leave the room or go to sleep.