Mon | Dec 5, 2016

Opposition calls press conference over Riverton dump issues

Published:Monday | March 16, 2015 | 7:59 AM

The Opposition has called a press conference for this morning to address matters relating to the Riverton dump.

The Opposition says the Government is to be blamed for the situation.

Already, the State Minister in the Local Government Ministry, Colin Fagan, has said the Government is exploring new management options for the disposal site including privatisation.

The State Minister says the Government is also looking at measures to reduce fires at the dump.

Meanwhile, Fagan and other emergency officials attending a press conference yesterday were cautious about when the fire at dump will be extinguished although they say the situation is under control.

Last Friday, Public Relations Officer at the Jamaica Fire Brigade, Emeleo Ebanks said it could take another six days before the fire at the Riverton fire is put out.

About 60 acres of the 120-acre dump have been under fire since Wednesday, causing the closure of schools, businesses and other services in the Corporate Area and St Catherine last week.

Fagan has apologised to the people who have been suffering.