Sat | Aug 19, 2017

Authorities beg for patience as Riverton fire burns

Published:Wednesday | March 18, 2015 | 3:03 PM
Albert Braham rushes his daughter from the George Headley Primary School in Kingston to a nearby clinic last week after she fainted because of the smog from the Riverton disposal site.

The Office of Disaster Preparedness and Emergency Management (ODPEM) is begging for patience from persons affected by the fire at the Riverton City disposal site.

The fire, allegedly started by arsonists, has been burning at the dump since last week Wednesday.

More than 800 persons have also had to seek medical attention.

ODPEM’s director general Major Clive Davis, says all is on track to have the fire extinguished by the weekend.

He says while smoky conditions are still being experienced, the situation is improving.

The smoke from the dump has resulted in chaos in the Corporate Area with schools and businesses having to suspend operations.

The matter has been declared a national emergency.

ODPEM is co-ordinating the response.

Yesterday, think tank, Caribbean Policy Research Institute, (CaPRI) said the fire may cost the economy more than $272 million.