Wed | Aug 15, 2018

Third suspect in Mario Deane beating yet to be charged

Published:Sunday | March 22, 2015 | 12:00 AMChristopher Thomas
Mario Deane

A third man who was implicated in the brutal beating of Mario Deane, who died on Independence Day 2014 from the assault he suffered three days earlier, is yet to be charged as his attorney has not been available to attend the formal police procedure.

"The lawyer, Mr Franklin Haliburton, is having difficulty being there when the accused man is to be charged, as he is currently engaged in the Home Circuit Court," clerk of the court Yanique Henry revealed in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court last Friday.

Dean's other two cellmates, Marvin Orr and Adrian Morgan, appeared in court last Friday and were given a new court date of April 10 by Resident Magistrate Carolyn Tie. The extended time is to facilitate formal charging of the third suspect, who was also in the cell.

no medication

During the latest hearing, attorney-at-law Trevor Ho Lyn, who is part of the defence team for Orr and Morgan, again raised concern that Orr, who is said to be mentally challenged, was not receiving his needed medication regularly.

"When Mr Orr is at the Tower Street Adult Correctional Facility (in Kingston), he is properly medicated. He tells me that he has not received any medication since he came down (to St James)," said Ho Lyn.

"There has to be a protocol, because his medication, as I understand it, is a daily ongoing thing."

The resident magistrate subsequently ordered that Orr should be remanded at the Tower Street facility, and Morgan at the St Catherine Adult Correctional Centre.

"They are not to be brought (here) on the next occasion, because it is just for the third person to be charged," said Tie.

Following the death of Deane, who was taken into custody for a ganja spliff while he was on his way to work, the three cellmates and six police personnel assigned to the Barnett Street Police Station were implicated in his killing.

At the time of the incident, Senior Superintendent Egbert Parkins, who was the then commanding officer for St James Police Division, promised to leave no stone unturned in getting to the bottom of the incident, which was further compounded by reports that Deane was denied bail under questionable circumstances prior to the fatal beating.