Mon | Aug 20, 2018

A mother's pain

Published:Saturday | March 28, 2015 | 12:00 AMTamara Bailey
Lecia Green-Blaine who lost her pre-mature baby last year.

MANDEVILLE, Manchester:

THERE IS an unparalleled pain felt by a mother who has lost a child, a wide range of questions for persons believed to be responsible, and a yearning for the chance to have inner peace.

This is how 35-year-old Lecia Green- Blaine says she feels after losing her baby, allegedly at the hands of negligent doctors and nurses.

With a ruined marriage, a disconnect among herself and her children, and deteriorating mental and physical health, Green-Blaine is seeking justice for her dead baby boy, nicknamed Toby.

"They killed my baby, and there is no way my life will ever be the same again until I know those doctors and nurses are no longer in a position to treat persons the way they treated me," Green-Blaine told Rural Xpress.

With vitriol mixed with sadness, Green-Blaine recounted the events leading to her misery.

"On the 27th of June 2014, I was admitted in the Mandeville Regional Hospital after experiencing cramps and spotting. While I was there, I realised a lot of babies were dying. I got scared and asked to be transferred, but the doctors kept calming me and giving me injections for the baby's lungs. There was no problem and after a few days, I was discharged ... I returned to the hospital on the 7th of July because of pain. Yet again, I was given injections and told they were building the baby's lungs. This is where my nightmare began," she explained to Rural Xpress.


bleeding heavily


Green-Blaine continued: "On July 8th, I was bleeding heavily. I tried cleaning myself up, but I couldn't contain the blood. I called out to my nurse, and she answered on the third call, with attitude. She inserted the IV, but didn't explain anything ... the blood flowed and the IV ran out, soon the pain was unbearable. I started bawling because the pain was too much. I called out to the nurse. She said.'Lie on your left'. I told her I felt like vomiting, and all she said was 'try nuh vomit pon di bed' after bringing me a pan. I told her I felt I needed to pass my stool and she told me to go by myself, even though she knew my pressure was low and I was weak from blood loss."

Unable to hold it in any longer, Green-Blaine said she went to the bathroom, but was in for a surprise.

"As I stepped into the bathroom, I was greeted by blood and faeces in the toilet and on the floor. I remember there was water issues, but what I saw was disgusting. By this time, the pain lick me again and I fell to the floor in all the mess. For about 15 minutes, I laid there crying out before a ward assistant came and stated 'you a di second gal pop out the drip' and left. It was a registered nurse who came by and took me up. By this, my headwater burst," Green-Blaine said.

"I went in the bed and covered up, messy and shivering. The nurse then came and took the sheet off. I asked her if she was going to let me die. She exclaimed,'nuh dead yet, wait til me come off a duty'... . In my vulnerable stage, that is what she told me," Green-Blaine lamented.

She explained that while she was in the bed, she felt the foetus moved. She expressed to the doctor that someone needed to take it out.

"The doctor said the baby was fine and then asked me to sign for blood and a bag a tings, but I was bitter and I refused."

Hours later, Green-Blaine said she was cleaned up and brought to the theatre by much nicer nurses and a porter.

"After all had happened and I woke up on the ward, I kept asking for my baby. One doctor who I asked said 'if you baby do make it, him a go deaf and blind', just raw and blunt so... I told him I don't care. I knew the baby was three months early because I was due in October... hours after I was there in the bed, I saw a lady coming with my baby neatly wrapped, and I felt good. Only for her to say, 'Your baby didn't make it'."

Green-Blaine said when she held the baby, she knew something was wrong, noting that the baby didn't just die. He'd been dead for hours and the doctors and nurses had lied.

"I left the hospital on July 11 with a swollen body, unanswered questions and the need for more medical care for infections, but I feared for my life and decided to go to another hospital. I also got a lawyer, but I wasn't represented well... I, however, went to one of the meetings called, but I was getting nowhere and relied on legal advice."

Michael Coombs, technical director, Southern Regional Health Authority told Rural Xpress that the hospital did not breach its duty of care.

"From investigations and reports received, including from experts in the field of obstetrics and paediatrics, following the incident on July 8, 2014, the quality of care, including the decisions made and the level of monitoring, was in keeping with standard management protocols. Unfortunately, the baby was very premature and died within two days of delivery."

Coombs said a meeting was called at the regional level, but Green-Blaine did not show.