Fri | Aug 18, 2017

Cops on 2013 murder charge have bails extended

Published:Saturday | April 11, 2015 | 4:00 AMChristopher Thomas

The two policemen who are charged in connection with the 2013 shooting death of Montego Bay resident Dujean Robinson had their bails extended to April 15, following Tuesday's appearance in the Montego Bay Resident Magistrate's Court.

Constables Surano Bird and Meseck Palmer, who were charged by the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) following Robinson's death, were given the return date after it was revealed that certain documentation, which had been ordered by the court, had not been completed.

"The representative from INDECOM is present, (but) some notices were to have been done and they were not done," Clerk of the Court Yanique Henry told presiding magistrate Carolyn Tie.

no defence

The court was informed that Bird and Palmer's lawyers had not yet received full disclosure of documents from the prosecution to build their clients' defence.

"You are both to return here on April 15. Your bails are extended until then," Tie told the two defendants.

The allegations against the officers are that on November 7, 2013, Robinson was shot dead by members of a police team who were conducting an operation in Mount Salem, Montego Bay.

Following witness reports that Robinson had been arrested and then shot by the police, and that he was unarmed at the time of his death, INDECOM subsequently arrested and charged Bird and Palmer.