Thu | Aug 24, 2017

Trinidad gets US extradition request for Warner

Published:Wednesday | May 27, 2015 | 5:40 AM
Jack Warner

Trinidad has confirmed that an extradition request has been issued for Jack Warner's arrest in relation to the FIFA scandal.

Media reports are that Trinidad's Attorney General, Garvin Nicholas, has confirmed that he met this morning with United States authorities who are in Trinidad to extradite Jack Warner back to the US, to face charges of racketeering and corruption.

Nicholas reportedly made the confirmation to media before attending a function at Hyatt Regency Hotel in Port of Spain.

Warner is to be indicted on several charges which include money laundering conspiracy, racketeering and fraud while a vice-president of football governing body FIFA.

Warner's two sons, Daryll and Daryan, cooperated with US investigators and pleaded guilty almost two years ago to a series of charges.

READ: Jack Warner's sons face long jail terms in US

Details of the charges were unsealed today in a statement issued by the US Department of Justice.

Meanwhile, Warner is maintaining his innocence.

In a Facebook statement released earlier today, Warner said he has fought fearlessly against all forms of injustice and corruption.

He says he has not been questioned in relation to the FIFA scandal.

Warner says he has been afforded no due process in the matter.

In an interview earlier on Trinidad’s TV 6, the former FIFA Vice-president said if the United States wants him in relation to the charges, they know where to find him.

Here is an excerpt of that interview.

 

Former Fifa Vice President, Jack Warner