Thu | Oct 18, 2018

Ask the Doc: 'My son is out of control'

Published:Tuesday | June 9, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Q: MY SON drove to another parish with another underage driver and we only found out because the car broke down. His father, who does not live with us, is taking it lightly. Was I too harsh to ground him for the next two months?

A: It is more important to teach your son what is right now than to make him think that wrong is right and not learn to be responsible.

Q: I am trying to find a holiday job for my sons, but they seem nonchalant. How can I change their attitude?

A: Sit with your boys and tell them the purpose and importance of the holiday job. If they cannot get jobs, encourage them to sell products so they can earn.

Q: Before we met, my husband invested money for his eldest son - not our child - who shows no interest in going to college. I told him to give the money to our daughter, who goes off to college in the fall. He is hesitant. What should I do?

A: If you choose to use the available money now, you may want to plan to replace it if your son changes his mind.

- Orlean Brown-Earle, PhD, is a child psychologist and family therapist. Dr Brown-Earle works with children with learning and behavioural problems throughout the island and in the Caribbean. Email questions to or send to Ask the Doc, c/o The Gleaner Company, 7 North Street, Kingston. Responses to concerns are to be considered as general as cases shared with psychologists privately would be queried more deeply.

Pray always!