Wed | Jan 23, 2019

Lawyer reminds Jamaicans to sue over poor road conditions

Published:Wednesday | June 10, 2015 | 1:01 PMJovan Johnson, Gleaner Writer

Attorney-at-law Kent Gammon is reminding Jamaicans that they can sue the government where it’s believed negligence by the authorities resulted in road-related accidents.

His remarks follow a disclosure yesterday by Minister without portfolio in the Works Ministry, Dr Morais Guy, that the government plans to force motorists to pay, through their insurance companies, to repair damaged road furnishings.

Gammon says tax-paying citizens are entitled to having roads and other infrastructure maintained.

He says if this infrastructure  is not maintained and cause harm, court action should be taken against the government or its agencies.

The lawyer says the Government can be sued under laws such as the Crown Proceedings, the National Solid Waste Management or Parish Council acts.


Attorney-at-aw Kent Gammon

Meanwhile, Gammon is reminding that it is difficult for citizens to get compensation from the government after a court makes a judgment in their favour. 


Attorney-at-aw Kent Gammon

The Insurance Association of Jamaica has said that discussions have been held with the Government about motorists being sued.

It says damage to road furniture would be covered as any third-party damage within the constraints of the policy.