Sun | Sep 23, 2018

Cop convicted on firearm offences, to be sentenced June 26

Published:Wednesday | June 17, 2015 | 6:27 PMBarbara Gayle, Justice Coordinator

The Independent  Commission of Investigations (INDECOM ) was today successful in getting its first conviction in the Gun Court when detective constable Sherwood Simpson was found guilty of firearm offences.

Justice Lennox Campbell convicted Simpson of illegal possession of firearm and wounding with intent.

Simpson will be sentenced on June 26.    

The Crown, represented by assistant director of public prosecutions, Adley Duncan led evidence  that on December 24, 2013, a civilian was shot in the back of the head.

According to the Director of Public Prosecutions, Paula Llewellyn, the case was based on common design.

She said although Simpson did not actually fire the shot, the Crown led evidence that he and others were acting together in the plot to shoot the complainant.

The complainant testified that in 2013 he was facing a criminal charge and had to report to the Castleton Police Station in St Mary  as a part of his bail condition.

He said after he reported on December 24, 2013, he boarded a minibus and sometime after, he saw a motorcar following the minibus.

Four men in plain clothes came out of the motorcar, intercepted the minibus and took him out.

The complainant said he was forced into the motorcar.

He was taken to a wooded area in St Mary where he was shot at but he managed to escape.

The men later found him and Simpson who the complainant said he knew before, stood beside him and made certain comments.

One of the other men then shot him in the back of the head.

The complainant pretended to be dead and the men left.

The complainant then managed  to walk some distance where he saw residents who called the Annotto Bay Police in St Mary.

The police arrived and took the complainant to hospital.

INDECOM took over the investigations and Simpson was pointed out by the complainant at an identification parade in February last year.

He was arrested and charged.

Simpson wept during the testimony of the complainant.

He also wept when he gave an unsworn statement from the dock denying being involved in the shooting incident.

He said he was at home nursing an injury at the time of the incident.

"While I respect the judge's decision, the matter will be appealed," said his lawyer, Peter Champagnie.

Champagnie was also critical of INDECOM's investigation.

The complainant was subsequently acquitted of the firearm offences for which he was charged.