Constable guilty of gun charges to be sentenced June 26
Detective Constable Sherwood Simpson is to be sentenced on June 26 for gun-related offences.
Simpson was found guilty yesterday of illegal possession of a firearm and wounding with intent in the Gun Court.
This is the first successful gun conviction for oversight body, the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM).
The Crown, represented by assistant director of public prosecutions, Adley Duncan, led evidence that on December 24, 2013 a civilian was shot in the back of the head.
Director of Public Prosecutions, Paula Llewellyn, explained that the case was based on common design.
She said although Sherwood did not actually fire the shot the Crown led evidence that he and others were acting together in the plot to shoot the complainant.
The complainant testified that in 2013 he was facing a criminal charge and had to report to the Castleton police station in St Mary as a condition of his bail.
He said after he reported on December 24, 2013, he boarded a minibus and sometime after he saw a motorcar following the minibus.
Four men in plain clothes came out of the motorcar, intercepted the minibus, took him out and forced him into the vehicle.
He was taken to a bushy area in St Mary where he was shot at but he managed to escape.
The men later found him and one of them then shot him in the back of the head.
The complainant pretended to be dead and the men left.
The complainant managed to walk some distance where he saw residents who called the Annotto Bay Police in St Mary.
The police arrived and took the complainant to hospital.
INDECOM took over the investigations and Simpson was pointed out by the complainant at an identification parade in February last year.
He was arrested and charged.
In an unsworn statement, the policeman denied being involved in the shooting incident.
The complainant was subsequently acquitted of the offence for which he was charged.