Wed | May 24, 2017

PNP arrives at decision on Shernet Haughton, but public announcement delayed again

Published:Thursday | June 18, 2015 | 6:44 PM
In May, the Director of Public Prosecutions decided against criminal charges for Hanover councillor Shernet Haughton but said she should be sanctioned for violating the principles of good governance.

The People’s National Party (PNP) says a decision has been taken in relation to embattled Hanover councillor, Shernet Haughton, but it will not be made public until June 29.

It is the latest in a string of dates by which the PNP had said it would announce its decision regarding Haughton.

 

Jovan Johnson reports

Haughton has been at the centre of controversy since March when the Office of the Contractor General accused her of nepotism in the award of contracts during her tenure as Mayor of Lucea from 2012-2014.

The PNP has been under pressure to take action against her in light of the OCG's report.

PNP general secretary Paul Burke told The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre last week that the party’s executive would determine her fate on Monday and issue a public statement by yesterday.

However, this afternoon, he told our news centre that while a decision was made, the public will not be informed until after the June 29 meeting of the party's National Executive Council. 

 

PNP general secretary Paul Burke

In a statement in April, the party said possible disciplinary actions could involve Haughton being deemed ineligible to ever contest any election for the PNP.

Haughton is currently the councillor for the Green Island Division.

In May, the Director of Public Prosecutions decided against criminal charges for Haughton, but said she should be sanctioned for violating the principles of good governance.

Meanwhile, Haughton has denied any wrongdoing.