Sentencing put off for businessman convicted of human trafficking
The sentencing of convicted human trafficker, Rajesh Gurunani, has been postponed until next week Friday.
It was put off to give the defence time to review the claim for compensation being sought by the prosecution.
Gurunani’s bail was also extended until next Friday.
When the case was mentioned this afternoon, attorney-at-law Alethia Whyte, from the Government’s Assets Recovery Agency, informed the court that it is applying for forfeiture under the Proceeds of Crime Act.
She contended that the claim should be heard before the sentencing.
However, Justice Courtney Daye, said hearing of that claim can come after the sentencing.
He explained that there was some conflict between the Proceeds of Crime Act which was passed in 2007 and the Trafficking in Persons Act, which was passed in 2013.
Justice Daye added that when such a conflict exists, the most recent law takes precedence.
He says in relation to compensation, the Proceeds of Crime Act relates more to civil proceedings.
Daye also said the court has to first deal with the criminal hearing for which a verdict has been delivered.
Last week, a seven-member jury found Gurunani guilty on all the nine charges he was facing.
He could spend up to 20 years in prison.