Phase Two of Short Term Poverty Reduction Programme to Begin
Members of Parliament are being urged to submit recommendations for projects to receive funding under the second phase of a short-term poverty reduction programme being spearheaded by the Ministry of Labour and Social Security
Speaking last month in Parliament, Minister of Labour and Social Security, Derrick Kellier noted that, "In the 2014/2015 budget, $75 million was made available by the Government under the Short Term Poverty Intervention Project, in response to the economic challenges encountered by vulnerable groups. Approximately 3,500 poor households benefited from the intervention."
He said that the success of the programme has warranted its continuation in a second phase.
"Based on the positive outcomes from this intervention, the most Honourable Prime Minister and the Cabinet have decided that another $75 million should be dedicated to continue this initiative. Each member of parliament (MP) will again be allocated $1 million, however, this year, the funds will be allocated in two tranches, $500,000 in July to September and the other $500,000 in December," he said.
At the time he spoke, Kellier urged members of parliament to submit recommendations to the permanent secretary in the Minister of Labour and Social Security before the end of July.
"The recommendations are
to be sent directly to the permanent secretary, who will initiate the necessary investigations by social workers to ensure that the projects are productive and beneficial. I urge all MPs to make their recommendations for the first tranche to the ministry, at 14 National Heroes Circle, Kingston 4, by July 31, 2015," he said.
Kellier also indicated that the programme would operate in a similar fashion as last year.
"In implementing this programme, the same methodology used last year will be adopted. Each member of parliament will receive a letter that provides details of the project along with the prescribed form for the submission of beneficiary names and projects," he said.