Sun | Apr 23, 2017

Ex-cop loses bid to challenge dismissal

Published:Friday | August 7, 2015 | 8:47 AM

Former police constable Dewayne Thomas has lost his bid to challenge his dismissal from the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF).

Thomas filed an application on August 15, 2014 seeking an order to extend the time to make the application and an order seeking leave to the Judicial Review Court.

Thomas was dismissed from the JCF in 2010.

Thomas said the reason for the delay in filing the application was because he had consulted several lawyers and he was unable to pay legal fees.

He claimed that in February 2010 he was told by the Superintendent of the Manchester Police that a recommendation was to be made for his dismissal from the force based on disregard for the rules of the JCF.

Thomas said he received a notice on May 4 that year that he would not be reenlisted in the JCF.

The former cop said he met with the police commissioner on May 8 and was informed that he had been dismissed from the Force.

In turning down the application, Justice Lorna Shelly Williams said Thomas did not act expeditiously and did not give a reasonable explanation for the four-year delay in filing the application.

She also said no explanation was given as to why legal aid was not sought before during the four years since he was dismissed.

The judge pointed out that the court has the discretion to extend the time for such applications.

However, Justice Shelly Williams said the court was not satisfied with Thomas' application.