Wed | May 24, 2017

Ex-soldier convicted of Boulevard murders seeking to go to Privy Council

Published:Wednesday | August 26, 2015 | 8:31 AM

Former Jamaica Defence Force corporal Leslie Moodie is continuing his fight to have his murder conviction overturned.

Moodie has filed a motion seeking leave from the Court of Appeal to take his case to the United Kingdom-based Privy Council.

The former JDF soldier was convicted in 2010 and sentenced to death for the murders of four men in a nightclub along Washington Boulevard in St Andrew.

He is alleging that there was a constitutional breach in his case by the prosecution.

The ex-soldier is claiming he was not given a fair trial because the prosecution failed to make disclosures in a timely manner which affected his ability to prepare his defence.

He is contending that this action amounted to a breach of his constitutional rights.

Last month, the Court of Appeal upheld the murder conviction but overturned his sentence of death.

The shooting incident involving the former soldier happened in October 2008 at the Diamond Lounge Gaming Club.

The prosecution led evidence at the trial in the Home Circuit Court that it was Moodie who fired shots in the club, killing four and injuring several others.

Witnesses said that about 4 o’clock on the morning of October 20, 2008, Moodie was having drinks in the club and was harassing a female patron.

Persons in the club cautioned him about his behaviour and he began firing shots.

In handing down the sentence in 2010, Justice Horace Marsh said the murders were exceptional and extreme and there was nothing to show that Moodie was remorseful or there was any possibility of reform.