Mon | Oct 23, 2017

Traffic changes for Mount Rosser today

Published:Thursday | August 27, 2015 | 12:00 AM

Effective today, traffic changes will be made along a section of the Mount Rosser main road in St Catherine.

The National Works Agency (NWA) said in a release yesterday that it would be reducing a section of the corridor

to facilitate single-lane traffic only, as works get under way to replace a burnt-out culvert.

Stephen Shaw, manager, communication and customer services at the NWA, said the section of road to be affected is in the vicinity of the area referred to as 'Man Bump'.

The changes are expected to be in effect until next week Monday.

Shaw said that given the history of fires in the area, the NWA would not be replacing the burnt-out culvert with a plastic pipe as it did some two years ago, but would instead use the conventional concrete pipes.

serious threats

The plastic pipe culvert which was burnt out after an oil spill about two years ago was replaced at the time with a similar drain. The pipe was again burnt recently after garbage was thrown into its invert and then set on fire.

Shaw said the practice of setting fires in the vicinity of plastic culverts has in recent times posed serious threats to road users, especially motorists who are not aware of the danger of the road collapsing under the weight of their vehicles, as the pipes had been burnt from beneath the road.

The NWA has in recent times had to replace fire-damaged culverts from beneath roads in Manchester, St Mary, and St Catherine.

Shaw said the support of the public was being solicited in ensuring that the road infrastructure is not compromised by such a practice.