Mon | Apr 24, 2017

Killings by the police reduced by 30 per cent

Published:Tuesday | September 15, 2015 | 9:19 PMJovan Johnson, Gleaner Writer

The Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM) is reporting a 30 per cent drop in the number of killings by members of the security forces for the first eight months of this year compared with the similar period last year.

According to the latest data from the oversight body, 66 people were killed by the security forces for the period January 1 to August 31 compared with 94 for the corresponding period of 2014.

January, with 13 killings, recorded the highest number of fatalities in one month.

So far this month, four fatalities have occurred.

INDECOM says most of the cases are either going through the court system or are being investigated.

The body also said it is happy that the fatality figures continue to decline.

The agency's senior public relations officer, Khamile Reid, declined to state what specific factors may be responsible for the declining figures.

However, she says there have been ongoing efforts from both INDECOM and the security forces to reduce fatalities.

Some 129 people were killed by the security forces last year — 50 per cent less than the 258 recorded for 2013.