Wed | Sep 19, 2018

Principal investigated for beating student

Published:Tuesday | September 15, 2015 | 12:00 AMBarbara Gayle

The Ministry of Education is investigating the circumstances under which a 10-year-old boy was allegedly slapped several times by a principal at a primary school in the Corporate Area.

It was reported that the incident took place last week Monday at the school on the first day of the new term.

A relative of the boy reported that the boy came home looking very sad and, when he was questioned, he reported his ordeal.

According to the boy, he was upstairs on the school building during break time and he had a bag juice in his hand.

A child bounced against him and the bag juice fell downstairs into the garden.

While the boy was in class, the principal allegedly came in and asked for him. He stood up and the principal allegedly slapped him on his shoulder, ear and back.

The principal ordered him to go downstairs and pick up the juice bag and clean up the rest of the area.

The boy's mother reported that last week Tuesday she went to the school to find out what happened, as her son related that the incident took place in the view of the teacher and the students.

Doctor found swelling

She spoke with the teacher and then met with the principal, who said the boy was telling lies on him.

She said she took her child to the doctor later that day and the doctor, after examining the child, said it was a police matter.

The medical report revealed that the boy had a swollen left ear.

A report has been made to the Half-Way Tree Police Station.

According to reports, a meeting was held at the Ministry of Education last Thursday with the boy's mother, the principal and the class teacher. One of the suggestions made was that the child could be transferred to St Richard's Primary School.

The mother said it was not fair to her or her child because it was going to be a challenge for the child, who would now have to take two buses to get to that school.

She explained that, based on where the child lives, he could take one bus to his present school.

She said she was waiting to hear what the ministry had to say and warned that if there was not a favourable resolution, she would have to consult with her lawyer.

Byron Buckley, director of communications in the ministry, told The Gleaner yesterday that the report was being investigated and ministry officials had met with the principal.