Burke defends PNP delegates' list
People’s National Party (PNP) general secretary Paul Burke is defending the voter’s list used in Sunday's internal election in St Ann South Eastern in which Member of Parliament Lisa Hanna retained her right to represent the party.
Burke argues that it was basically the same list used last year to elect the councillors who are now critical of it.
Hanna’s would-be challenger, Lydia Richards pulled out of the election at the last minute to protest against the list used yesterday, saying it was flawed and Burke failed to take steps to correct it.
But Burke says while it was not a perfect list, it was the best the party had under the circumstances.
He also says none of the councillors had raised objections to the list when it was used to elect them last year.
Burke charges that Richards and her team had the list for nearly two and a half weeks and the selection date was extended to allow her to scrutinize it.
He also says it would have been almost impossible for any corruption of the list to be verified at the level of the party’s secretariat.
Richards, who pulled out of yesterday’s selection had written to Burke pointing to what she said were several flaws in the voters list.
With Richards’ supporters staying away, Hanna captured 468 votes.
Ten delegates voted for the councillor and there were six spoilt ballots.
More than 570 delegates did not vote.