NWC warns strike could leave customers without water, urges storage
The National Water Commission (NWC) is warning customers that they could be out of water because some of its employees are on strike.
In a release issued this afternoon, the Commission urged customers to store water for use in the event that their service shuts down.
It also said customers may pay their bills at contracted payment agencies .
The workers are protesting over the decision of the NWC to change their medical insurance providers without the agreement of the unions.
They argue that under the new policy, they will have to pay higher premiums and the benefits will not increase.
An emergency meeting has been called at the Labour Ministry to attempt to resolve the dispute and in the meantime, the NWC says it continues to do everything to restore normality in the shortest possible time.
Alternative NWC payment options:
- National Commercial Bank branches islandwide, Tele-Midas and www.jncb.com
- Scotiabank’s Telescotia and www.scotiabank.com.jm
- Sagicor Bank branches islandwide
- Paymaster Offices islandwide and www.paymaster-online.com
- Bill Express Offices isalndwide and www.billexpressonline.com
- Jamaica National Building Society branches islandwide and www.jnbs.com
- Prime Trust Financial Corporation
- Alliance Investment Management
- Victoria Mutual Building Society online – www.expressonline.vmbs.com
- First Caribbean International Bank online – www.cibc.com
- Jamaica Cooperative Credit Union League online – www.caribccu.coop