Tech Times: Galaxy S6 edge - What difference does a Plus make?
So, finally, we got our hands on the Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ to put it through the usual review treatment. This device has been talked about, bashed and praised by some; but what are the true pros and cons of the new device from Samsung?
The first thing we need to establish is the internals of this massive device, to see what makes it tick.
Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+
- Screen size: 5.7 inches (1440 x 2560 pixels)
- OS: Android OS, v5.1.1 (Lollipop)
- CPU: Quad-core 1.5GHz Cortex-A53 & Quad-core 2.1GHz Cortex-A57
- Internal storage: 32/64/128GB, and 4GB RAM
- Camera: Primary - 16MP, 5312 x 2988 pixels, optical image stabilization
- Camera: Secondary - 5MP
-MicroUSB v2.0, USB Host
- Battery: Non-removable Li-Po 3,000mAh battery
Let me make this plain, the S6 Edge + is a blown-up S6 Edge with 4GB of RAM and some added features.
The S6 Edge + is identical in design to its smaller brother, the S6 Edge. It has a fantastic metal frame, a 5.7-inch curved display, and Gorilla glass covering the front and back of the device. There is no denying the craftsmanship that went into this device. But there are some pros and cons to having such a massively built device.
- This device is great for viewing media and surfing the Internet.
- Also great for playing mobile games.
- The S6 Edge+ is too big to use with one hand by the average person.
- The phone is very slippery in the hands because of the Gorilla glass on the both sides of the phone.
This phone has amazing front and back cameras. You will get great, detailed shots in day or night photo. This comes as no surprise given the fact that the S6 Edge+ is using the same great cameras that are in the S6 and S6 Edge, which came out earlier this year. There are a few new modes in the S6 Edge+ though; which are Video Collage and Live Broadcast.
This feature allows you to set up a live stream directly to your YouTube channel and invite who you want to watch it. I have tried it and it works like a charm, but don't use your mobile data to set up this. You'll regret it in a heartbeat.
This is a very nifty feature that makes a collage of videos that you can share on Instagram, Facebook or wherever you want. I can see persons getting very creative with this feature.
The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ will get you through a full day (6AM to 6PM) and have some charge left, if you are a moderate user. This is not so for a heavy or super user that lives on everything social media-related and play mobile games a lot. If you are this person, then you might have to charge up by 2 p.m. each day. The good news is it takes 1hour and 19mins to fully charge the phone to 100 per cent from one per cent with fast charge.
The Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge+ is a powerful phone, but can you handle the size? This is not a phone for the small-handed. You have been warned!