Rapes surge in Hanover
The Centre for Investigation of Sexual Offences and Child Abuse (CISOCA) has recorded a spike in sexual crimes against women and children in Hanover since the start of this year.
Head of CISOCA Superin-tendent Enid Ross-Stewart made the disclosure last Thursday, during a meeting called to discuss the upsurge in crime in the parish.
"When I look at the statistics for Hanover, in 2014, Hanover recorded 38 cases of sexual abuse, chief of them sex with girls under 16 years of age. But guess what, this year 2015, it has skyrocketed to 64 cases, up to this point. The year has not yet ended so what that means [is that] it [is] almost doubled. That's not a good sign," said Ross-Stewart.
"And under 16 sex, though it has increased, rape has taken over, more than four times the amount of rapes last year - that has quadrupled for this year. Not a good sign Hanover," she stressed.
"It says to me that taking care of our women and our girls - we are not doing that and we need to start doing that."
The number of rapes jumped from seven last year to 32 up to the end of September this year in Hanover. According to Ross-Stewart, even boys are not exempt and many of the girls have also been buggered.
"All children are at risk, so no longer can we say our boys are safe. They are not safe ... and when they use the girls they use the anus too. Jamaica is failing to care and protect our children. Too many of us are negligent, abusive or careless parents and guardians," said Ross-Stewart.