Sat | Aug 19, 2017

Why Bullock DuCasse took no action on first infection report from University Hospital

Published:Wednesday | October 28, 2015 | 10:10 PM
Bullock DuCasse would give no indication of whether she would be stepping down as Chief Medical Officer.

Chief Medical Officer Dr Marion Bullock DuCasse says the University Hospital of the West Indies (UHWI) did not tell her it was dealing with a current outbreak of infection in September when it wrote to her.

The UHWI wrote to Bullock DuCasse on September 7 to inform of an outbreak of infections in its Neonatal Special Care and Intensive Care units, which resulted in the deaths of several babies.

However, Bullock DuCasse did not reply until September 21.

TIMELINE: The #DeadBabiesScandal ... How the hospitals responded

At a post-Cabinet press briefing this morning, Bullock DuCasse said she did not take any action at that time as her information was that the infections had already been contained.

 

Bullock DuCasse says she was not informed of an ongoing outbreak at the UHWI until October 16 and the ministry immediately took action to assist the hospital.

READ: DuCasse says she responded immediately to infectious outbreak advisory

Meanwhile, Bullock DuCasse would give no indication of whether she would be stepping down as Chief Medical Officer.

 

Chief medical Officer, Dr. Marion Bullock Ducasse, responding to reporter, Abka Fitz-Henley

Nineteen babies have died at the UHWI and the Cornwall Regional Hospital in St James after being infected with the klebsiella and serratia bacteria.

However, Dr. Ducasse says there has been no new case of infection since news broke of the issue last week.