Sat | Aug 19, 2017

Dalley explains burial of more than 80 stillborn babies

Published:Saturday | November 28, 2015 | 11:41 PM
Health Minister Horace Dalley says the pile-up of bodies is as a result of mothers not returning to claim their children and explains that the State is required to take the necessary steps to ensure they are buried as humanly as possible.

Health Minister Horace Dalley is seeking to allay concerns over reports that there were attempts between yesterday and today to bury more than 80 stillborn babies from three public hospitals.

Reports reaching The Gleaner/Power 106 News Centre are that one Corporate Area funeral home was contracted to retrieve the dead babies from the Kingston Public, Victoria Jubilee and Spanish Town hospitals yesterday.

It is reported that the bodies were buried today at the May Pen Cemetery.

READ: SEHRA probing reported attempts to bury 80 stillborn babies at KPH

However, speaking to our news centre this afternoon, Dalley confirmed that there had been a pile-up of dead babies at some public morgues, but insisted that there was no need for alarm as they were all cases of still birth.

He says the pile-up of bodies is as a result of mothers not returning to claim their children and explains that the State is required to take the necessary steps to ensure they are buried as humanely as possible.