Sat | Aug 19, 2017

Land surveyor freed of causing death by dangerous driving

Published:Friday | December 11, 2015 | 12:09 PMBarbara Gayle, Justice Coordinator

Land surveyor, 26-year-old Mark Amos, has been freed of four counts of causing death by dangerous driving.

Amos was freed this afternoon by a seven-member jury in the Hanover Circuit Court.

The jury deliberated for 1:13 minutes before returning the not guilty verdict.

Amos was on trial for 20 days.

The Crown had alleged that on June 8, 2012 Amos overtook a line of traffic while travelling along the North Coast Highway in Trelawny.

He crashed into a taxi travelling in the opposite direction killing Fitzroy Hawthorne, Alecia Hosey, Marion Johnson and Roary McKenzie.

Amos was subsequently charged with five counts of causing death by dangerous driving.

However, one of the charges was dropped during the trial.

His attorney Bert Samuels argued that the body of Merrick Bailey was not identified at the post mortem as one of the persons who died in the crash for which Amos had been charged.

Justice Sharon George upheld the submission.

In an unsworn statement from the dock Amos said that it was the "selfishness" of Damion Daley, the driver of the motor vehicle, he was overtaking which caused the collision on June 8, 2012.

He explained to the seven-member jury that while he was overtaking, Daley "hold road on me by speeding up when I tried to overtake and it was the over speeding of an oncoming motor vehicle that caused the collision".

Amos said he was very sorry for those who were left to grieve, but maintained that he was innocent of all the charges.

Amos is the son of retired Senior Superintendent of Police Newton Amos.