Thu | Nov 15, 2018

Is consent necessary to apply for child’s passport?

Published:Wednesday | January 13, 2016 | 4:03 AM

Q: I am living in the USA and would like to get a passport for my son who is living in Jamaica. His father's name is not on the birth certificate, how can I apply for his passport quickly without coming to Jamaica?

A: A child is a minor who is under 18 years old and an application for a passport must be done on his/her behalf by a parent or guardian.

If your child is living in Jamaica and you are the parent who lives overseas, then you would need to give consent to the guardian to apply for the child's passport. The fact that the father's name is not on the birth certificate means he would need to apply to the Registrar General's Department to have his name inserted on the child's birth certificate. He could then apply for his child's passport once this process is completed and a new birth certificate issued. Otherwise, he would need your written consent in order to apply for his son's passport. This is done by completing a letter of consent which can be obtained from the nearest consulate, embassy or high commission.

If the form cannot be obtained, a formal letter may be written, giving instructions for the person the child is with, to apply for and collect the new passport. The letter should give specific instructions and must state the name of the child and the name of the guardian/other parent and signed by you; ensure that names and other vital details are accurately represented in your letter. You will also need to provide a copy of the data page of your Jamaican passport. If you do not have the Jamaican passport, a copy of a valid identification will be accepted, a driver's licence, national identification or passport issued from another country.

Both the consent letter and the copy of your passport must be notarised by either a Notary public, justice of the peace, commissioner of oats or attorney-at-law. The notarised letter and identification may be sent to the guardian or through the embassy, high commission or consulate to PICA's head office, where the guardian/other parent can collect same.


3-y-o and up to be present


The guardian/other parent will need to take along the letter of consent, his/her identification, and the child's birth certificate when applying. Please note that all minors, three years and older, must appear in person when the application is being submitted and must be accompanied by the parent/guardian who completed the application form.

On the application form, section C must be completed and signed by the guardian along with section E. Also at section G, ensure that the certifying official writes the guardian's name and not that of the child. The application form may be obtained from our website at

You indicated that you wish to apply for your son's passport quickly. Note that there are three expedited services available at our Kingston offices, namely: same-day, next day and three-day at the cost of $9,000, $7,000, and $6,000 respectively for a minor's passport.

The regular service cost for a minor passport is $4,000 for seven days.

- For further information, please visit our website at: You may also email queries at