Fri | Dec 14, 2018

Immigration Corner: What documents should I submit?

Published:Tuesday | January 26, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Dear Mr Bassie,

I read your article with respect to obtaining a short-term study visa. Could you please advise me regarding what documents a person would need to provide when applying for this type of visa?

- C.W.


Dear C.W.,

When a person applies for such a visa, he or she will need to provide certain documents. The documents that must be provided are a current passport or other valid travel identification; one passport-sized colour photograph; and evidence that a person can support himself or herself, for example bank statements or pay slips for the past six months.

A person will also need to provide details of where he or she is staying and any travel plans. A person should not pay for accommodation or travel until he or she gets the visa. The applicant will also need to show his or her tuberculosis test results if he or she is from a country where such a test is required.

The applicant will need to provide original documents and will also need to provide a certified translation of any documents that are not in English or Welsh.

The applicant must provide proof of the course he or she is studying, for example a letter of acceptance from the educational institution - on official headed paper - stating the course's name, duration, and cost, including cost of accommodation.

Please note that the applicant may need to provide additional documents, depending on his or her circumstances, for example evidence of his or her previous study, evidenced by academic certificates, references, or transcripts; English language qualifications, evidenced by certificates or awards.

The applicant will also need permission to be in the country from which he or she is applying if he or she is not a national of that country. In addition, if the applicant has a financial sponsor, then the applicant will need to provide the financial sponsor's occupation, income, savings, or funds that will support the applicant's studies.

If the applicant is under 18 years of age, he or she will need to provide additional documents if he or she is travelling alone or if travelling with someone who is not the parent or guardian. A person can travel to the United Kingdom with an adult, that is, someone 18 years or over. For travel to the United Kingdom, the applicant's parent or guardian needs to provide this or her written consent and full contact details.

The applicant will also need to provide proof that he or she has somewhere suitable to live during his or her stay in the United Kingdom, including the name and date of birth of the person with whom he or she will be staying; an address where he or she will be living; details of the applicant's relationship to the person with who will be looking after him or her; also, consent in writing so that that adult can look after the applicant during his or her stay in the United Kingdom.

An applicant must provide a letter from the school confirming that it has notified the local authority of his or her visit and of the care arrangements if he or she is under 16 years of age, and the applicant must include the reply from the local authority if the school has received one.



If the applicant plans to travel to the United Kingdom with an adult, he or she will need to identify that person in the visa application. Please note that the person's name will appear on the applicant's visa, and the applicant will be refused entry to the United Kingdom if he or she arrives there without the adult person. An applicant can identify up to two adults in his or her visa application, and the visa will only be valid if the applicant travels with at least one of them. Please note that the adult can apply for a visa at the same time, but both must complete separate applications.

An applicant must apply online for a short-term study visa. The applicant will need to select 'visit' and then either select:

- Special - student visit visa (if he or she is over 18 years old) or;

- Special - child visit visa (if he or she is under 18 years old).

He or she will need to have his or her fingerprints and photograph, known as biometric information, taken at a visa application centre as part of his or her application.

- John S. Bassie is a barrister/attorney-at-law who practises law in Jamaica. He is a justice of the peace, a Supreme Court-appointed mediator, a fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, a chartered arbitrator and a member of the Immigration Law Practitioners Association (UK).