Sun | Sep 24, 2017

PNP still not satisfied but drops Holness house issue

Published:Tuesday | February 16, 2016 | 2:36 PM
Holness' Beverly Hills mansion

The People’s National Party (PNP) says it has put to rest the matter of Andrew Holness’ house following the supply of answers about the source of funding for its construction.

"I am dropping that discussion about Mr Holness’ house. It was never about the house," PNP General Secretary Paul Burke said today.

READ: Holness responds to house controversy

"It was never a bad card. There were integrity issues around the financing of it ... Even though I don’t think the answers are satisfactory, in my view, he could have answered that one week ago," Burke said.

PNP Campaign Director Dr Peter Phillips had been using various campaign platforms to push Holness to declare the source of funds for the house he and his wife, Juliet, are constructing in Beverly Hills, St Andrew.

Holness yesterday released details of how the house is financed and asked that Phillips too disclose how he is able to afford the house in which he now lives.

Tuesday, Phillips, when asked to respond to the view that a smear campaign was waged against Holness and that it could cost the PNP the election, said that is “nonsense”.

Phillips said too that he can amount for his house and that he never bought any house that was taken over by the Financial Sector Adjustment Company (FINSAC).

“I have no Finasc property. I own one house, the one I live in. I have no other interest in any other house or any other property,” Phillips said.

“I paid $1.5 million, bought it in 1991, bought it on the open market. I secured a mortgage from VMBS (Victoria Mutual Building Society) for $600,000 or thereabout, I paid on the basis of saving from my wife and myself and my savings included amounts inherited from my father who had died,” Phillips said.