Sun | Aug 20, 2017

No selling of government vehicles to outgoing ministers, says Holness

Published:Saturday | February 27, 2016 | 2:20 AM
A car arrives at the ceremonial opening of Parliament at Gordon House last year.

Prime Minister-designate, Andrew Holness, says his administration will discontinue the policy of allowing former Cabinet ministers to purchase vehicles which were being used by them while in office, to save the Government millions in replacement costs.

In a Facebook post on his page today, Holness said it was one of the issues he discussed when he met with the Cabinet Secretary and the Permanent Secretary in the Office of the Prime Minister yesterday.

Holness says the move to discontinue the policy is part of the Jamaica Labour Party’s commitment not to be government as usual and to change how government works.

He says he also discussed with the government functionaries the earliest route to inauguration and he arranged a briefing on the important activities of the previous Government.

In 2012, the Portia Simpson Miller-led administration was forced to defend itself after it bought 20 high-end vehicles for some Cabinet ministers for approximately $60 million.

It explained that the Cabinet ministers provided with the new vehicles had been driving their own since taking office in 2011, as the vehicles driven by the previous ministers had been sold to them.

The Government provided a list which showed that 30 SUVs were sold to outgoing ministers and permanent secretaries.