Bar association gets new head
Sherry Ann McGregor was elected president of The Jamaican Bar Association (JBA) at its annual general meeting on Saturday. She succeeded Donovan Walker, who did not seek re-election having served for two consecutive terms. Stuart Stimpson is the new vice-president.
Speaking after her election, McGregor said of immediate past president Walker, "You raised the bar" and led in an, "inspired, inclusive and energetic manner". She added, "Your vision for the Bar was carefully thought out, clearly articulated and purposefully achieved."
Of the future of the JBA, McGregor said, "As this new administration assumes office, many faces around the Bar Council table have changed; but we are fortunate that those changes are positive in that we enjoy a mixture of experience and youth, which is a true reflection of our membership. Within that structure, I hope that we will be able to harness and harvest the skills to:
• ensure the independence of judges and attorneys-at-law.
• be a watchdog and fight for the maintenance and strengthening of the rule of law and human rights.
• work with all stakeholders towards proper legal reform and the improvement of our legal, justice and court systems.
• offer services to those in need or requiring our aid and protection
• ensure our attorneys receive continuing legal education in keeping with the requirements for mandatory continuing legal professional development; and
• promote the integrity and good name of the legal profession in Jamaica."
VOICE OF THE PROFESSION
She added also said that the new Bar Council will "work to remain the voice of the profession, the watchdog of the Government, the strong support of the public and the guardians of justice".
A practising attorney-at-law since 1999, McGregor is a partner in Nunes Scholefield DeLeon & Co. She specialises in the areas of civil litigation and mediation, with special emphasis on family, commercial, insurance, personal injury and contentious probate proceedings. She served as vice-president of the association and presently serves as their representative on the board of the Dispute Resolution Foundation.
McGregor is a director of JN General Insurance Company Limited and the chairperson of the disciplinary committee of the Kingston School of Nursing. She also served as chairperson of the legal and ethical subcommittee of the National AIDS Committee and as a member of board of management of Wolmer's High School for Girls. She is a well-known and prolific columnist for The Gleaner's Flair Magazine, writing the widely read column 'Laws of Eve'.
She is married to Paul Tai and they have one son.