Fri | Sep 22, 2017

Financial secretary responds to former contractor general

Published:Tuesday | March 8, 2016 | 3:18 AM
Former contractor general Greg Christie.

Financial Secretary Devon Rowe has responded to a call by former contractor general, Greg Christie, for an investigation into reports that Jamaica spent some $8.3 billion more than was budgeted in the December 2015 quarter.

According to Rowe, the government’s account on spending is public information and there for all to see.

Rowe says the Ministry of Finance published the end of third quarter figures relating to the Central Government Summary Accounts in January 2016.

He says this information can be found on the Ministry's website.

READ: Former contractor general calling for budget spending investigation following PIOJ revelations

According to the financial secretary, it is standard practice for the Central Government Summary Accounts to be published on the website, with a one-month lag.

He also pointed out that government's fiscal performance up to December 2015 was reported on and made public by the Economic Programme Oversight Committee in February.

Last week the Planning Institute of Jamaica (PIOJ)  said the overspending was not due to preparations for the general election, which was first expected by December, but eventually happened last month.

But the former contractor general said the report raises serious questions about the Portia Simpson Miller-led administration which formed the government up to last Thursday.