Wed | Jul 18, 2018

Immigration Corner: Thinking of being with my woman in Canada

Published:Tuesday | March 15, 2016 | 12:00 AM

Dear Ms Powell,

I have been a farmer for the last 10 years and have been seeing a nice Canadian woman for about two years.

She visits all the time and stays with me. She said she could help me become a citizen and set up a farm in Canada.

However, I don't want any woman to have any control over me, so I want to know if there is a way for me, as a decent farmer man, to go to Canada.

My lady is nice but I want to be independent, just in case things don't work out. I have some savings and don't have a chick or child here in Jamaica. I want to explore how I can get to Canada and set up a farm there. What can I do?

- WN

Dear WN,

Immigration, Refugee and Citizenship Canada (IRCC), formerly known and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC), has always encouraged self-employed individuals, such as farm managers, cultural and athletic individuals, with relevant experience and qualifications, to apply for and become permanent residents of Canada.

There are several immigration programmes for self-employed individuals who can make a valuable contribution to the growth and development of Canada. I will highlight a few of the options available to you.


Options in Quebec

Quebec has a generous immigration programme for individuals who are interested in being self-employed or investing in Quebec. If qualified, you could be granted permanent residence and become eligible for Canadian citizenship.

To be eligible under the Quebec investor programme, you will need to show that you have net assets of at least CAD$1.6m and have experience managing a legal farm.

This means you will need to show that you have been in a legitimate business as a farmer in your home country and be able to substantiate your business-management experience.

You must intend to settle in Quebec and sign an agreement to invest CAD$800,000 in Quebec.


Other Provinces

You also have the option of buying and managing a farm in any other province such as: Manitoba, Alberta, Ontario, Nova Scotia or New Brunswick making you eligible for permanent residence, without the assistance of your lady friend.

To do this, you will need proof that you have a minimum of two one-year periods of managing a farm within the last five years.

So if you have managed a legitimate farm, continuously, for the last 10 years, then your next step would be to score a minimum of 35 out of 100 points in order to qualify under this programme.

This is the point structure, which is subject to change without notice.

IRCC will examine your application and award you points based on your education, experience and age, ability to speak English / French and adaptability.

There is a range of points based on each criterion. The maximum you can get for each category is as follows:

Experience - 35 points

Age - 10 points

Education - 25 points

Language - 24 points

Adaptability - 6 points

The good thing about this programme is, that if you have more than five years experience as a self-employed individual of a legitimate business, you automatically get the required minimum points.

It is also mandatory that you sit the International English Language Testing System English (General Training) examination. You will be tested on your reading, writing, listening and speaking ability.

If you have a diploma, degree from a school outside of Canada, you should apply to get an Educational Credential Assessment report to show that your certificate, diploma or degree is valid and equal to a Canadian certification. You will also be required to do medical and criminal checks.

I admire your independent spirit, so if you have the funds to invest, then, I say, go for it. Submit your application now before the policy and rules change.

However, if things should become more serious with you and your Canadian lady friend, then you could consider family sponsorship.

Either way, I recommend that you consult an immigration lawyer, directly, to review your documents and discuss the finer details of your case, to determine the best option for you to immigrate to Canada.

- Deidre S. Powell is a lawyer, mediator and notary public who is a member of the Jamaican and Ontario, Canada bars, send your questions and comments to Email Subject line: Immigration or Tel: 613.695.8777