Thu | Sep 21, 2017

More healthcare workers taking flu vaccine - health minister

Published:Sunday | March 20, 2016 | 3:12 PM

Health Minister Dr Christopher Tufton says there has been a major improvement in the take-up of flu vaccines by frontline health workers since the outbreak of the H1N1 Influenza virus.

Health authorities have confirmed 69 H1N1 Influenza cases from 187 tests since January. Six people, including two medical practitioners, have died. 

Speaking today on RJR 94 FM, the health minister revealed that take-up is now in the region of 90 per cent. Normally, only about 70 per cent of frontline workers take the vaccine. Tufton says the ministry has ordered a further 1,000 doses of the vaccine. 

The 1,000 doses is in addition to 3,000 doses which arrived last week through the Pan-American Health Organisation and 1,000 doses each from Trinidad and Belize.

The additional doses of vaccine are expected to arrive within a week.