Tue | Jan 23, 2018

300 samples sent to lab for ZIKV testing

Published:Tuesday | March 22, 2016 | 4:17 PM

Health Minister Dr Christopher Tufton says the Ministry is expecting additional Zika cases when samples taken from persons suspected to be infected with the Zika Virus (ZIKV) are returned.

Tufton says so far there have been five confirmed cases of the Zika Virus.

However, he says this figure is expected to go up.

The health minister says the ministry has sent off 300 samples to be tested for the virus.

Tufton says the results of 145 samples are yet to be received.

He says it is being anticipated that some of those samples will return positive results.

Meanwhile, the health minister says the ministry is to embark on an intense vector control programme in St Catherine and St Thomas, which have recorded cases of the virus.

Four cases of the virus have been confirmed in St Catherine with one case in St Thomas.

Tufton says the affected communities will be fogged three days a week for the next three weeks as part of efforts of eradicate the mosquito population.

He was speaking at this morning’s post-Cabinet press briefing.