T&T government tells why 12 Jamaicans were denied entry last month
The government of Trinidad and Tobago says the 12 Jamaicans who were denied entry to that country last month were barred on the grounds that they were likely to become a charge on public funds.
The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says this decision is in keeping with the country’s immigration laws and was communicated to Jamaica’s High Commissioner to Trinidad & Tobago David Prendergast during a meeting last Tuesday.
The foreign ministry has also disputed claims by the Jamaicans that they were ill-treated by immigration personnel after the decision to deny them entry.
It says once the decision was taken to deny entry to the 12 Jamaicans, members of the group as well as Caribbean Airlines representatives were notified as stipulated by section 21 of the country Immigration Act.
In a statement issued yesterday, the Trinidad foreign ministry said the Jamaicans were then placed in the care of Caribbean Airlines to await a flight to Kingston.
It says prior to their departure on March 22, the group was served a meal, provided with blankets and escorted to the washroom upon request.