New Coconut Industry Board members appointed, former chairman concerned
The Government has reportedly appointed four new members to the Coconut Industry Board.
Former Chairman, Leonard Green, says he was informed last week Thursday that the government had accepted his resignation and those of the three other government nominated board members.
He says he is surprised by this development.
Green says before the February 25 General Election board members turned in their resignation in keeping with convention.
However, according to him, it was expected that they would have been allowed to continue to serve as this was the case in the past.
Green says the five other board members who represent coconut growers remain on the board.
The government and the coconut board have been at odds in recent times over a move by the Andrew Holness administration to get the state body to sell shares, worth some $2.27 billion in the company, Seprod.
The government says it owns shares in Seprod through the Coconut Industry Board.
However, the board has rejected this and has indicated it is prepared to go to court to fight the directive.
According to the former chairman, there is now an undue haste on the part of the government to get the new board to approve the sale.
However, the former chairman is insisting that the divestment is a wrong move.
When contacted by our news centre this morning Information Minister, Senator Ruel Reid declined to comment saying an announcement on board appointments will be made next week.
Finance Minister Audley Shaw could not be reached for a comment.