Sat | Aug 18, 2018

Cop denies killing girlfriend at Port Antonio Marina

Published:Monday | April 11, 2016 | 3:15 PM

 Livern Barrett, Senior Gleaner Writer

A police constable who is on trial for killing his girlfriend at the Errol Flynn Marina in Portland in 2013 took the witness stand today and denied any involvement in her death.

Constable Lincoln McKoy made the assertion in the Home Circuit Court after an eyewitness' account of how Jessica King begged for her life before she was shot.

The eyewitness, Alecia Brown, gave investigators a statement in which she said she was walking to her car parked at the Marina on the evening of August 14, 2013 when she noticed a man and a woman sitting facing each other.

Brown's statement was read into the evidence because she now resides in the United States and has refused to attend the trial.

In the statement, the former teacher said the man had a handgun in his right hand and pointed it at the woman's face.

"She was begging for her life. Her words were 'no Lincoln, no Lincoln no do it, you ago kill me, see the woman a pass deh ...," Brown said in her statement read by Cleon Roberts, an investigator with the Independent Commission of Investigations (INDECOM).

"At the same time the female was making gestures, her arms stretched out pleading with him not to kill her, almost on bended knees," the statement continued.

Brown said she got scared and started to run when she heard "a gunshot" and saw the man with the gun in his outstretched right hand.

McKoy, who elected to give sworn testimony, acknowledged that he was at the marina with King on the day in question and that he had his service firearm with him.

"Did you shoot and kill Jessica King on August 14, 2013?" asked his attorney as he led him through his evidence.

"No, sir," the constable replied.

Instead, McKoy said he and King were sitting facing each other when suddenly she called out his name in a loud tone.

"Upon hearing that shout I felt someone shove me to the back of my head hard. As a result of that force, I fell forward," he testified.

"While in the process of falling I felt someone pull on my firearm. I heard two loud explosions and I tried to scramble to my feet and the next thing I know I woke up in a hospital, " he added.

McKoy is now being cross-examined by lead prosecutor Paula Llewellyn.