Sat | Aug 19, 2017

Transport ministry launches 'Operation Zero Tolerance' as fatal crashes spiral

Published:Tuesday | May 3, 2016 | 5:22 PM
Curious onlookers at the scene of a crash in Spanish Town, St Catherine last month. A brother and sister were killed in the crash.

The Transport Ministry has announced a major three-month drive called 'Operation Zero Tolerance' as it moves to reduce the number of fatal crashes.

In a release on Tuesday afternoon, the Ministry said the drive which begins on Saturday will be a joint operation between the Island Traffic Authority and the police and will be enforced six days per week.

"This time around the police and Island Traffic Authority, will be on the roads island-wide conducting a series of around-the-clock spot checks,"  said Director of Public Relations and Communication at the Transport Ministry, Vando Palmer.

He said the Transport and Mining Minister, Mike Henry, is very concerned that 136 people have been killed since the start of the year and has instructed that no effort be speared to address the problem of fatal crashes.

According to Palmer, the authorities will be targeting defective vehicles, those with illegal lighting including flashing blue lights, and those that are heavily tinted.

"No breach of the Road Traffic Act will be overlooked and no 'bly' will be given to offenders," Palmer said.