Fri | Aug 18, 2017

UPDATE: Gov't halts construction at Royalton hotel site as breaches are detailed

Published:Tuesday | May 10, 2016 | 5:27 PM
Desmond McKenzie: "I'm not offering any defence, but we need also to strengthen the capacity of the local authority to respond in a more meaningful way."

The Local Government Minister Desmond McKenzie has ordered the immediate halting of construction at the Royalton hotel site in Negril, Hanover saying there have been numerous breaches.

According to McKenzie, the order halting the construction will initially be for 30 days, but will be extended if necessary.

He says a preliminary report into the incident indicates that substandard material was being used, work was being undertaken outside of permitted hours and construction was being undertaken in areas for which there had been no approval.

READ: Negril Chamber calls for speedy probe into building collapse at Royalton site

McKenzie, speaking on Beyond the Headlines on RJR 94FM said he has also established a three-man team to investigate the incident.

READ:  Two released from hospital, three admitted following building collapse at hotel site

"We are going to do everything within the law to ensure that we get to the bottom of what is taking place and we are going to be taking the necessary action," he said. 

McKenzie has also acknowledged that the Hanover Parish Council has long been receiving reports about breaches at the construction site, however, it failed to intervene.

"I'm not offering any defence, but we need also to strengthen the capacity of the local authority to respond in a more meaningful way," he said.